A little geeking out and my Art-A-Whirl schedule for this weekend:
When I started painting in 2013 I honestly knew NOTHING about it, didn’t have any professional art training, always knew I wanted to paint but never did, and was looking for an outlet for stress. I didn’t know the difference between acrylic paint, oil paints, or house paint (other than you get house paint at the Home Depot and you get other paints at art places, you know, like Michael’s Fine Art section which you can also use on your walls). I knew NOTHING. I signed up for my very first e-course with Brave Girls Club (whom I will love and adore forever). I took the supply list to Michael’s and just stood there. I didn’t know ANYTHING ON THE LIST. Had no idea where to find any of it or what it even was. I ended up grabbing a bunch of craft paints, some brushes and some cheap canvases and just started. I NEVER could have known or anticipated just how much it would bring into my life in such a short time. Granted, I’m still learning constantly about new-t0-me art supplies and I’m much less scared to try new things. I remember very clearly painting something and my husband saying (who has more art training than I do) “You can’t use that paper with those paints”, and I said “Well, why not? I am.” Sometimes things work out, sometimes they don’t, but I try to follow my inner child and just play and continue to say: “why not?”.
So, with “Why not?” in my heart for the past two years, some AMAZING THINGS have happened!!!I want to start with this: my beloved and fantastic art teacher/kindred and established artist, Alena Hennessy, has opened her very own shop in Asheville, NC just this past month called Rosewater + Gallery. The photos are beautiful! AND, to make this REALLY AMAZING look very closely at this photo:
You may notice some incredibly gorgeous art by Alena Hennessy, and also some bags from PAPAYA! art by the lovely artist Anahata Katkin, whom I have loved for a while. All of it = EYE CANDY!!!! If you look to the bottom left you also may notice some prints of my Heart Strings line!!!!!!!!! I KNOW, RIGHT?!?!?!?!?!?! I totally geeked out about it for a week after I saw this photo and I’m still stunned, blessed, excited, proud, amazed, haaaapppppyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so fortunate to be in company of some INCREDIBLY talented artists. To be honest, feeling a bit out of place and disoriented to be among some serious talent. So if you’re in Asheville, NC, stop by the shop! You won’t be disappointed, I promise. I might also add that I’ll be attending an art retreat with Alena in the fall where I’ll final get to meet her in person as well as some of my art kindreds. I can’t wait!!!!!!!
A couple other pictures from her lovely gallery: Spot anything else by Lara Cornell Art?
On top of that, I have events and new art coming out my EARS right now!!! My house is totally trashed. My husband said “remember when we were in our old house and how it will be so great to have a studio to keep all your art stuff in?” – Ummm….well…..yeah….. it’s all over the house right now. So much happening at the same time and in my couple hours at home at night I’m jumping from one to another as the other one dries, and room to room depending on where my family is.
Art-A-Whirl is already this weekend! This year, my second year, I’m going about it in typical Lara fashion: Over booking and under planning. 😉
The whole weekend you can find my art here:
- my resin art can be found in Steven Bailey’s studio in the Casket Arts Carriage Building (behind the main Casket Arts Building). I am planning to be here Saturday from noon – 4ish as well. Steve’s woodworking is incredible so be sure to check him out, plus he’s a pretty sweet guy.
- my mixed media people and animals can be found at Spark Letterpress .
I will also be doing more of a pop-up style gallery at Boom Island Brewing Company with live collaborative painting on Friday (4-9pm), Saturday (5-9pm), and Sunday (1-6pm). What will we be painting? I have no idea. CROSS YOUR FINGERS FOR LOVELY WEATHER SO WE CAN PAINT OUTSIDE! Some of my Heart Strings line and some smaller prints and the leather cuffs will be available here. Here’s the rundown for the live collaborative painting at Boom Island:
- Friday live collaborative painting with my daughters! They are 6.5 and 8 and SUPER excited to be painting with mommy and showing off their skills 🙂
- Saturday live collaborative painting with my friend since childhood and amazingly talented painter/singer/and over-all human being, Johanna Jones. For those of you who have been following my story for the past two years, you may have heard mention of Johanna Jones (well, you probably have). She’s a VERY BIG reason I am doing what I’m doing, and loving what I’m doing, and becoming who I am. I can’t say enough wonderful things about her. She’s incredible.
- Sunday live collaborative painting with an artist friend of mine, Martje Van De Meerendonk who’s super fun style and sewing talent can be found at i like you in Minneapolis. For a fun little note, I met Martje hap-hazard-like last year, we were both enrolled in Alena Hennessy’s A Year Of Painting e-course, discovered we lived near-by and now we are collaborative painting together! Life is crazy. She’s a pretty awesome lady, btw.
So, there you have it!
There are MANY, MANY, MANY more things to tell you about, but this would get way too long. More updates coming soon!
Oh, but one more cute thing: both of my daughters made me lovely Mother’s day cards, you know the fill-in-the-blank type cards the teacher hands out which the students color and make into cards? BOTH girls said their very favorite thing about their mom is that she paints and that she’s “artistk”. Seriously people, I can’t emphasize how much painting has changed my life and brought out so many amazing things in my family. ♥♥♥♥